If you are thinking about installing the latest firmware on your Samsung device, you must know that there are several ways you can do this:
The Official Methods:
- Using Samsung Kies.
- OTA (Over-The-Air) – for newer models all you have to do is go to Settings > More > About Phone > Software Updates and click on ‘Check for updates‘.
The Manual Method:
This one requires the use of an aftermarket software called Odin and a flashable firmware.
What is Odin? Well, Odin is a Samsung software that was leaked a few years ago and has the ability to flash firmware on Samsung devices. It is a very powerful tool that can benefit you a lot, but at the same time is also very dangerous. In the wrong hands it can brick your phone in a second. That’s why you need to be really careful when you use it and make sure that you know what you are doing before using it.
Odin is also your best friend when you mess up an installation and you end up with a bricked phone.
Disclaimer: Installing Samsung firmware using Odin is not the official way to do it. This method is used only if you want to unroot or re-install an official firmware in case you’re using a Custom ROM. Odin is also used if you want to install another country’s firmware on your device. You should always be careful that the firmware you install is for your model precisely. We cannot be held responsible of any damage that your device might inquire, so proceed at your own risk.
How to Install an Official Firmware With Odin?
- Download Odin 3.09 (Older devices might have trouble using this version of Odin, so if you own one, search for your device here).
- Extract the content from Odin to your computer.
- Download the latest firmware for your device.
- IMPORTANT! Samsung Kies is not compatible with Odin. You have to make sure that Kies is not running in system tray. It is recommended to uninstall Kies before using ODIN.
- Download and install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- With the device turned off, press ‘Power+Volume Down+Home’ to enter Download Mode. (If this key combination doesn’t work, just Google ‘Device Name+Download Mode’).
- Connect your phone to the PC with the USB cable.
- Right click on Odin 3.09 and click on ‘run as administrator’.
- This is how it should look like (don’t mind the arrows just yet):
- There is a section called ID:COM (on the left upper side of the window). The blank space underneath it will turn blue if your device is recognized. (If the phone is not recognized make sure you have installed the USB Drivers)
- Click on ‘AP’ and add the .tar.md5 file from the firmware archive.
- IMPORTANT! Do not place anything under the PIT section and make sure that “re-partition” is not checked. (On the left side you will see Re-partition under the Option tab)
- When the firmware file is loaded you can press START to being the installation.
- Don’t touch the USB cable while the firmware is being flashed. Boxe Audio Active
- At the end you will see a message saying ‘PASS” on a green background. This means that the installation is done. The device should reboot and run on the new firmware.
Be very careful while you go through this process. Make sure you understand all the risks and that you know all the steps before installing a Samsung firmware using Odin.